Smashing Times Theatre and Film Company Mission Statement
Smashing Times – Theatre for Change
Performance, Training, Participation
Smashing Times is a professional theatre and film company involved in performance, training and participation. The work of the company is underpinned by a rights-based approach and a commitment to artistic excellence and social engagement.
As a leading professional arts organisation the company develops cutting edge projects that promote social justice, peace, gender equality, human rights, positive mental health, anti-racism, and more through high quality artistic processes, merging art, culture and politics to interact and engage with contemporary society and the world we live in.
The company was established in 1991 by a group of women actors who met at the Focus Theatre Dublin. Today the work takes place at local, national, and international levels in a range of settings – on screen, on stage from the professional arts and theatre space to local schools and communities where we are invited to work with people collaboratively, and at European and international levels.
The company has four high-profile patrons: Sabina Coyne-Higgins, Áras an Uachtaráin First Lady; Senator Joan Freeman, founder of Pieta House; Ger Ryan, actor; and Tim Pat Coogan, writer and historian. The company remembers and honours our founding patrons – writers Maeve Binchy and Brian Friel, and the historian Robert Kee.
- Dr Eric Weitz (Chairperson), Head of Drama, School of Drama, Film and Music, Trinity College Dublin
- Bryony May, Arts Service Manager at Fermanagh and Omagh District Council
- Edwina Albrecht, Artistic Director, Dundalk Youth Theatre
- Sandra Berger (ACCA), Financial Consultant, B.A. (Hons) in Finance and Accounting
- Olivia O’Hagan, Business Advisor, Invest NI
- Mary Lawlor, Front Line Defenders
Staff and Artists
The Artistic Director is Mary Moynihan and the company manager is Freda Manweiler.
Key artists who have worked with the company include Paul Kennedy, writer; Deirdre Kinahan, writer; Fiona Bawn Thompson, actor, writer, choreographer; Tara McKevitt, writer; Bairbre Ni Chaoimh, director; Jenny MacDonald, director and facilitator; Pom Boyd, actor and writer; Peter Sheridan, writer and director; Raymond Keane, actor and director; Risa Ando, Costume Designer; Cillian McNamara, Lighting Designer; and Andrea Basquille, director, choreographer, set and costume designer. Actors include Margaret Toomey, Paul Nolan, Evelyn Shaw, Ben Waddell, Adam Traynor, Róisín McAtamney, Mary Duffin, and Sorcha Shanahan.
Smashing Times Supporters
The company is supported by a range of funders including Dublin City Council Arts Office, ESB ElectricAID Ireland, HSE, Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade’s Reconciliation Fund, Erasmus+, the Europe for Citizens programme of the European Union, Community Foundation for Ireland, Dublin Bus Community Spirit Awards, Arklow Mental Health Week, Aviva Stadium Community Fund and Lloyds TSB.
‘Smashing Times is a wonderful endeavour and I wish you well with all your future work’
Thomas Kilroy, Playwright
‘Smashing Times approaches a difficult subject with honesty, integrity and sensitivity. This production and the discussion afterwards should be compulsory for all young people. It is Theatre-in-Education at it’s best.’
Maeve Ingoldsby, Writer and Playwright
What the papers say:
The Irish Times
- ‘Smashing Times Theatre Company has a deserved reputation for exploring social issues with sensitivity and in depth… The plays are true theatre… extraordinary. Smashing Times must continue with it’
- ‘Fascinating, executed by the innovative and dynamic Smashing Times Theatre.’
- ‘Excellent… a depth of feeling and a coherence of mood that is both striking and rewarding.’
What the Public Says:
- ‘An extremely moving and emotional experience. The actors portrayed their characters beautifully. I couldn’t take my eyes off the performances!’
- ‘Hauntingly beautiful, amazing production.’
- ‘This work is so powerful, I wish there was more of this.’
- ‘What Smashing Times are contributing to theatre is cutting-edge… this is serious, thought-provoking and provocative work that is really impressive and valid.’
- ‘I’ve never been presented with an issue like this in my (theatre) experience before, this has been extraordinary, powerful…’
- ‘Theatre that is utterly riveting, excellent acting and directing and the openness, this is theatre that is challenging and shows the way forward.’
- ‘The show was extremely powerful, congratulations to the actors and company.’
- ‘The Department of Education should fund this show to go into every school in the country. It is excellent and extremely important.’
- ‘This work is excellent…we don’t do enough emotional training (in schools) and that is why drama is so important, particularly for young people in schools.’
Standards of Excellence and Core Values
The company aims to promote a shared set of standards for excellence. These are:
- Artistic Excellence: The work of the company is underpinned by a commitment to artistic excellence and high performance standards.
- Ethics: The work is underpinned by a rights-based approach and a commitment to artistic excellence and social engagement including social justice, human rights and dignity, gender equality, participation, empowerment, experimentation, risk taking, innovation and transformation.
- Collaboration: The company works collaboratively with other similar organisations and sectors to achieve its goals.
- Governance: We have an independent and voluntary Board of Directors governing the organisation. The organisation is legally incorporated and committed to carrying out aims and objectives that support its mission statement.
- Professional Management And Performance: The organisation has a management structure and appropriate operating policies and procedures to serve its mission and utilise its resources well. Competent and responsible paid employees operate and staff the organisation.
- Effectiveness, Scale And Sustainability: The organisation supports a) programme effectiveness and scale and b) organisational and programme sustainability.
- Leadership And Participation: The organisation is a leader in the practice and development of professional theatre and film and theatre in social and applied contexts.
History & Archives
Smashing Times Theatre and Film Company is currently in the process of archiving the company’s work from the past two decades. If you have previously worked with the company and have anything you would like to submit please get in touch.