Smashing Times Theatre and Film Company Mission Statement Smashing Times – Theatre for Change Performance, Training, Participation Smashing Times is a professional theatre and film company involved in performance, training and participation. The work of the company is underpinned by a rights-based approach and a commitment to artistic excellence and social engagement. As a leading professional arts organisation the company develops cutting edge projects that promote social justice, peace, gender equality, human rights, positive mental health, anti-racism, and more through high quality artistic processes, merging art, culture and politics to interact and engage with contemporary society and the world we live in. The company was established in 1991 by a group of women actors who met at the Focus Theatre Dublin. Today the work takes place at local, national, and international levels in a range of settings – on screen, on stage from the professional arts and theatre space to local schools and communities where we are invited to work with people collaboratively, and at European and international levels. Patrons The company has four high-profile patrons: Sabina Coyne-Higgins, Áras an Uachtaráin First Lady; Senator Joan Freeman, founder of Pieta House; Ger Ryan, actor; and Tim Pat Coogan, writer and historian. The company remembers and honours our founding patrons – writers Maeve Binchy and Brian Friel, and the historian Robert Kee. Directors
- Dr Eric Weitz (Chairperson), Associate Professor of Drama, School of Drama, Film and Music, Samuel Beckett Centre, Trinity College, Dublin 2.
- Sandra Berger, (ACCA), Financial Consultant, B.A. (Hons) in Finance and Accounting
- Olivia O’Hagan, Business Advisor, Invest NI
- Bryony May, Arts Service Manager, Fermanagh and Omagh District Council, Visiting Professor, Drew University, NJ, USA
- Edwina Albrecht, Artistic Director, Dundalk Youth Theatre
- Mary Lawlor, Human Rights Activist, Founder and current board member of Front Line Defenders and Adjunct Professor, School of Business, Trinity College Dublin
Endorsements‘Smashing Times is a wonderful endeavour and I wish you well with all your future work’ Thomas Kilroy, Playwright ‘Smashing Times approaches a difficult subject with honesty, integrity and sensitivity. This production and the discussion afterwards should be compulsory for all young people. It is Theatre-in-Education at it’s best.’ Maeve Ingoldsby, Writer and Playwright What the papers say: The Irish Times
- ‘Smashing Times Theatre Company has a deserved reputation for exploring social issues with sensitivity and in depth… The plays are true theatre… extraordinary. Smashing Times must continue with it’
- ‘Fascinating, executed by the innovative and dynamic Smashing Times Theatre.’
- ‘Excellent… a depth of feeling and a coherence of mood that is both striking and rewarding.’
- ‘An extremely moving and emotional experience. The actors portrayed their characters beautifully. I couldn’t take my eyes off the performances!’
- ‘Hauntingly beautiful, amazing production.’
- ‘This work is so powerful, I wish there was more of this.’
- ‘What Smashing Times are contributing to theatre is cutting-edge… this is serious, thought-provoking and provocative work that is really impressive and valid.’
- ‘I’ve never been presented with an issue like this in my (theatre) experience before, this has been extraordinary, powerful…’
- ‘Theatre that is utterly riveting, excellent acting and directing and the openness, this is theatre that is challenging and shows the way forward.’
- ‘The show was extremely powerful, congratulations to the actors and company.’
- ‘The Department of Education should fund this show to go into every school in the country. It is excellent and extremely important.’
- ‘This work is excellent…we don’t do enough emotional training (in schools) and that is why drama is so important, particularly for young people in schools.’
Standards of Excellence and Core ValuesThe company aims to promote a shared set of standards for excellence. These are:
- Artistic Excellence: The work of the company is underpinned by a commitment to artistic excellence and high performance standards.
- Ethics: The work is underpinned by a rights-based approach and a commitment to artistic excellence and social engagement including social justice, human rights and dignity, gender equality, participation, empowerment, experimentation, risk taking, innovation and transformation.
- Collaboration: The company works collaboratively with other similar organisations and sectors to achieve its goals.
- Governance: We have an independent and voluntary Board of Directors governing the organisation. The organisation is legally incorporated and committed to carrying out aims and objectives that support its mission statement.
- Professional Management And Performance: The organisation has a management structure and appropriate operating policies and procedures to serve its mission and utilise its resources well. Competent and responsible paid employees operate and staff the organisation.
- Effectiveness, Scale And Sustainability: The organisation supports a) programme effectiveness and scale and b) organisational and programme sustainability.
- Leadership And Participation: The organisation is a leader in the practice and development of professional theatre and film and theatre in social and applied contexts.