Improving Exchanges Across the Divide Through Education and Culture
Using the arts and new digital technologies to promote conflict resolution and positive community relations.
This project uses the arts and new digital technologies to promote conflict resolution and positive community relations through theatre and film and is implemented by Smashing Times International Centre for the Arts and Equality. The programme results in the implementation of an Arts-based Training programme using theatre and film to promote conflict resolution and positive community relations. The project aims to build spaces for exchange and opportunities for dialogue between conflicting parties and minorities from Georgia, Moldova, Azerbaijan and Armenia, including, wherever possible, in the conflict zones of Abkhazia, South Ossetia, Nagorno Karabakh and Transnistria.
The project will
- Address and promote conflict resolution, peace and reconciliation through high quality artistic processes – using theatre, film and new digital technologies to promote conflict resolution and transformation and positive community relations between people and traditions in the Eastern partnership region countries affected by conflict.
- Conduct a needs assessment and prepare a targeted ‘train the trainer’ training programme in theatre facilitation to provide training suitable for teachers, professors, youth workers, artists, cultural workers and all those working in a community relations context so they are trained in how to implement a theatre and film based module using creative processes to promote conflict resolution and peace building with local communities.
- Prepare a theatre and film workshop model to be implemented by the trainee’s with local communities
- Train 20 trainees who already have previous experience through two x five-day residential training weeks, trained in how to use the arts and new digital technologies to promote conflict resolution and positive community relations
- Support 20 trainees to conduct theatre and film modules on the ground attended by 300
The project partners are German Academic Exchange Service DAAD (lead partner); Smashing Times International Centre for the Arts and Equality, Dublin, Ireland; Campus France; Brussels Diplomatic Academy; Goethe-Institut incl. regional branch offices:
- Goethe-Institut Tbilisi, Georgia
- Goethe-Zentrum / German culture Center Chişinau, Moldova
- Goethe-Zentrum / German culture Center Kapellhaus Baku, Azerbaijan;
- Goethe-Zentrum / German culture Center Yerevan, Armenia; National Library of Latvia; German Archaeological Institute